21 September 2011

Home Canned Sweet Pickle Relish

I get to experiment with home canning this year thanks to the large garden we have gotten to work at this year. The only other experience I have canning was some peach butter a few years back so I honestly don't know a lot about canning.  The first experience this year was some dill pickles. I canned these with the other lady working at the garden who knows all about canning. It was easy and we still had lots and lots of cucumbers so I decided to try to make some sweet pickle relish on my own. I ended up  making 2 batches and ended up with 8 pints sized jars.  Next up I have 20 lbs of pears waiting to ripen and be made into pear butter and pear honey, and some baby food too but I'm just going to freeze that.
I figured sweet pickle relish from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving would be a good recipe to try. First of all, I love sweet pickle relish and I use it. It's great on hot dogs, in potato salad, and in pasta salads. Second, the recipe was rather simple and didn't need a lot of ingredients.

Sweet Pickle Relish

  • 1 quart chopped cucumbers
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
  • 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 cup canning salt
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 2 cups cider vinegar
Combine cucumbers, onions, and peppers in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain, rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes (below 1,000 ft altitude*) in a boiling water canner.

*1,000-3,000 ft add 5 minutes
  3,000-6,000 ft add 10 minutes
  6,000-8,000 ft add 15 minutes
  8,000-10,00 ft add 20 minutes

14 comments :

  1. I have tons of cukes that need pickling. I never thought to make relish! I'm trying this tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly surprised by the amount of information accessible on this subject.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to generate a top
    notch article.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Such an amazing and helpful post. I really really love it.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks so much for the blog post.Really looking forward to read more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for sharing great content with us. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appreciate your quality stuff, really so useful and informative blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers! Thanks a lot for sharing this post. I love this post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this brilliant article it was a very useful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed by the way you have explained things in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me

    ReplyDelete

  13. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! I like the helpful info you supply to your articles

    ReplyDelete

  14. Wonderful website. Lots of useful info here. Great article!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...